- Hypnosis is a state of focused attention that allows direct access to your subconscious mind.
- All hypnosis is self-hypnosis. Your hypnotist is a guide to help you access this altered state of awareness.
- Hypnosis is completely safe; you cannot get stuck in hypnosis.
- Everyone goes in and out of hypnosis naturally every day. Watching a movie, reading a book or driving are three examples.
- Most people can by hypnotized.
- Hypnosis is not sleep.
- You are fully in control. You can reject or accept any suggestion.
- The hypnotist cannot make you do anything against your will…including telling your deepest secrets.
What Can Hypnosis Help With?
Hypnosis can help with strengthening your sense of self, your self-confidence, motivation and ability/desire to live and create the life you want for yourself. It also helps you get ‘unstuck’ and aids in overcoming depression, anxiety, fears, weight loss, motivation, smoking cessation, school improvement, pain control, post-surgical healing, relationship issues, insomnia, bed-wetting, sales improvement, athletic performance, menopause symptoms, high blood pressure, PTSD, attention deficit, and more.Take a look at the research page if you’re curious about what studies show.
That said I can’t emphasize enough that hypnosis is not a magic wand. It is a tool you can use to move yourself forward in life. But you have to use it to get the results you want.
What Happens During a Session?
- The client comes into the office for the appointment. If it is a Skype appointment, I will contact you via Skype a few minutes prior to the actual appointment time.
- If paperwork has not been filled out beforehand, you do this now.
- You remove any contact lenses, use the restroom and shuts off your cellphone.
- You get comfortable in the chair; a blanket is available if you want to use it.
- We discuss hypnosis and your main issue.
- You relax in the chair and is guided into a trance state.
- After emerging from trance, I will help you reorient to your regular waking state, answer any questions and we will talk a little about your experience of hypnosis.
How Does Hypnosis Feel?
During hypnosis you may experience…
- Feelings of deep relaxation.
- Sensations of warmth throughout your body because being deeply relaxed improves circulation.
- Your eyelids fluttering.
- Watering eyes as your tear ducts relax.
- Increased swallowing as your sinuses relax and start to drain.
- Your eyeballs moving back and forth underneath your eyelids.
- A difference in the way you perceive time; things may feel very slowed down or time may pass very quickly.
- Your breathing slowing down.
- Your mind wandering.
How Many Sessions Will I Need?
It really depends on the issue. And while it might sound counter-intuitive, it’s the smaller issues that often take more sessions to clear up, rather than the big issues. This is because oftentimes those smaller issues, those annoying things we know we’d be better off changing, those can be a comfort, something at our deepest levels we view as part of our identity, and we may not be quite as committed to making the change as we would be with a larger problem that we can clearly see is making our life less functional.
Does Insurance Cover Hypnosis?
Generally speaking, insurance does not cover insurance. Upper Valley Hypnosis does not bill insurance, but will provide an invoice to you, if requested.